Some reminders for you today… we are getting older, we are entering new phases in our lives. Our wishes have changed, our values have shifted, there is a different outlook, and our bodies are not the same as they were in our 20’s!
I”‘ve had clients and dancers wonder how best to take care of themselves as this new season is upon us, the season of change, of age, of desires! As you search, question, dive in deep into yourself, there are things, ways of being, to remember, or even new ways to live each day.
As you enter midlife, it’s important to take care of yourself both physically and emotionally. Here are a few tips for self-care that can help you stay healthy and happy during this time:
- Make time for exercise. If you know me at all, I’m a huge movement motivated! Exercise, dance, hiking, yoga, your choice of moving your body, daily, is a great way to reduce stress, improve your mood, and boost your energy levels. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise most days of the week.
- Eat a healthy diet. Again, I”m a big proponent of a plant-based diet, have been for almost 25 years. It has made such a huge difference in my body, my weight, my health ( bye bye arthritis), and my emotional well being as a compassionate soul. Eating a healthy diet is important for your physical and mental health. Don’t forget to make sure to include plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains in your diet.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is essential for your physical and mental health. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night. I still am not the best in the sleep department, but I know how a restful night can feel.
- Ultra-important!!!! Spend time with loved ones. Spending time with loved ones can help reduce stress and improve your mood. Make time for activities that you enjoy doing with your friends and family. Be present with them, and enjoy those special moments, make them count!
- Practice relaxation techniques. Meditate! Relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, and deep breathing can help reduce stress and improve your mood, as well as you connection with yourself, with the earth, the universe, your higher being. Dont’ is this one.
- Take care of your skin. As you age, your skin needs special care. Make sure to use sunscreen, moisturizer, and other skin care products that are right for your skin type. Even my Dr. said to wear more sunscreen for my delicate face skin! Lather that body up, besides it feels so good.
- Get regular check-ups. It’s important to get regular check-ups with your doctor to make sure that you are staying healthy. Do those things, but pay attention to your natural health we well-being too.
- See a therapist if needed. Or hire a coach, Or join a women’s group, If you are struggling with stress, anxiety, confusion and overwhelm, or depression, it’s important to ask for help. There are people who can help you develop coping mechanisms and strategies for dealing with these issues, and for expanding into more of your new lifestyle..
Taking care of yourself is important at any age, but as we grow wiser and older, let’s step into that self-care wisdom, it’s especially important during midlife, because things are changing. By following these tips, you can stay healthy and happy during this time of transition.
Let me know which things are working out for you, which things are harder or easier, and if I can help in any way!
have a blessed, self-gracing weekend, my friend